Monday, September 26, 2005

I'm Disgusted

In the wake of the Katrina tragedy my co-worker (the south to canada one) had some strong opinions about the relief efforts. As I'm sure most people had. However, he did raise an interesting point. He was completely disgusted that Bush would ask his "...poor ass for some money" to help the people effected by the hurricane. See considering all the billions of dollars that we sent to Iraq we should just as easily be able to either A) be as generous to our own citizens or B) reallocate some of that money to our citizens. Either way he felt like the president shouldn't be asking us the little people when he could be lobbying for corporations, "the have more's" and the federal government to donate. Particularly since the relief efforts started so terribly (keep in mind when all this started Bush stated that $10 billion would go to rebuild the city whereas Iraq was getting like almost $200 billion). That and the fact a subsidiary of Halliburton has already been given the contract to rebuild the Big Easy. So, I must admit I kinda agreed. Considering also that everybody and there momma is asking for donations. From reputable companies to scam artists. I saw Roll Bounce this weekend and 10% of the proceeds from that are being donated too (I'll let you draw your own conclusions about the one black movie out right now donating a portion of its box office to the victims of Katrina). Still, weeks ago, right after that conversation I made a donation through the iTunes music store. But I still didn't feel any better about the situation...

No comments: